The Cottage Guest House
is run in conjunction with “Fairfield Guest House” which is next door, guests check in at Fairfield, and also have breakfast in the “Fairfield dining room”.
was originally two weavers cottages built in the Flemish style dating back to the 18th Century.
The Cottages were owned in the years 1898 until 1912 by J.G. Low, eminent local author, historian, antiquarian and water colourist. It was J.G. Low who incorporated Maori and ship woodcarvings, and “Dutch Tile” on the North and west cottage elevations. Although the cottages have been upgraded over the years many of the historical characteristics have been retained, eg, rooms 3 and 4 still retain the original wooden roof beams, the north elevation is still in the original “Brickwork” style, etc.